Friday, November 7, 2008

Ralph Waldo Emerson

There was one quote in paritcular in this reading by Ralph Waldo Emerson, that I really enjoyed.

"Instead of feeling a poverty when we encounter a great man, let us treat the new comer like a traveling geologist who passes through our estate and shows us good slate, or limestone, or anthracite, in our brush pasture."

What I understood from this statement, was that we shouldn't focus on our inadequacy especially by comparing ourselves to others that may appear more sucessful. Instead we should open our eyes to any lesson that can be learned from what that individual in beholding in their soul. The appearance of success is what may attract us to be interested in someone, but we should always pay more attention to a persons kindness, honesty, and all things that are deeper than only surface appearance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I find that I often compare myself to other people. I do it almost unconsciously. Comparing myself (not to point out my insecurities or theirs) to other people allows me to see how others live and how I can improve myself.