Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Response to reading by Chief Seattle

Wow! What an incredibly beautiful speech by Chief Seattle. When I sat down to read these two passages (by Sa-Go-Ye-Wat-Ha and Chief Seattle) I truly did not anticipate how much these speeches would affect me. This last one by Chief Seattle brought tears to my eyes. I am so saddened to learn of history being so cruel to the Native American people. White man have been so unfair with their lack of compassion to these beautifully spiritual people.
When I read this speech from Chief Seattle addressing Governor Stevens, I cannot fathom how the Chief's words would not be well taken and accepted. I suppose I just didn't ever consider how brutal and forceful our history with the Native Americans really was. We basically quarantined the Native Americans to what what white man called "reservations", and never accepted their pure, untainted love for the earth. If only we could appreciate the wisdom that the Native Americans held, our earth could be a much better place. If the majority of modern Americans could respect the earth as the Native Americans clearly did, I feel we would have far less suffering today. Modern American society as a whole has grown to be glutenous and unappreciative. As a culture we are wasteful and narcissistic only caring about ourselves and forgetting to take notice in the simple beauty of our earth.
Chief Seattle also speaks of the differences with the ways of worship between his people and white man. He tells about white man's God being "an angry God", writing His religion on "tables of stone by the iron finger", so it would not be forgotten. Chief Seattle continues by explaining that the Native Americans Great Spirit would never need to do this, because their people remember their religion which has been written in the hearts of their people. Chief Seattle states that "I think my people will accept it and go to the reservation you offer them", he continues explaining "we will live apart, and in peace".
Chief Seattle then goes on to conclude that the "Indian's night's will be dark", and when there are no more children of the "great tribes" left in the wide world, their spirits will still live among the earth. He warns, "the white man will never be alone...so let him [the spirits] be just and deal kindly with my people...the dead have power too.".
It is clear Chief Seattle was very well spoken and had a way of allowing his heart to be seen with his words. I feel a sense of change within myself after reading his speech.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chief Seattle's speech also affected me more than I thought possible. Sadly; however, I was not surprised by the white man's response to his speech. I also agree with your points about how modern Americans live their lives. I am disgusted with our countries wastefulness and lack of respect for the surrounding environment. It's depressing how unsurprised I am to constantly see trash littering our beaches and neighborhoods.