Monday, September 8, 2008

Raman Maharshi

Although a relatively short reading, this passage took me quite awhile to get through. Some of the phrases were very deep, and I needed to re-read them in order to fully understand the message.

One phrase I enjoyed in particular was when Maharshi speaks of love and joy. Maharshi states, "every being in the world longs to be always joyful, without any taint of sorrow", and this quote was very significant for me. I agree. Human beings do seem to long for a time when we will live in an utter state of happiness. At times of hardship in my own life, I have caught myself saying things like, "why can't I just be happy?". I have realized though, that we cannot fully experience the blissful times unless we also experience the sadness. I have fantasized my life lacking all hardship or grief, and realized that I would never truly know happiness. I wouldn't truly know happiness, because there wouldn't be any other emotion to compare the happiness to. Maharshi says, "love is caused by joy", and I like to continue that by saying, joy is caused by sadness, anger or grieving.

I also, really enjoyed portion of this passage where Maharshi responds to a question asked about teachers. The question Maharshi is asked, "what are the signs by which one can recognize a true teacher?" is answered so beautifully. Maharshi responds by stating, "[a true teacher] never sees difference between himself and others, is never moved by false ideas or distinctions." Maharshi seems to be explaining that he does not see himself as a wise teacher above anyone else. He makes it clear to us readers that he is equal with us, and his intellect is not better or more important that ours. Maharshi seems to believe that in order to be a true teacher, one cannot have an attitude that they are in some way better than the student. Maharshi simply explains that the teacher must retain, "courage and self control at all times [and remain] unshakable."

No comments: