Friday, October 3, 2008

Dogen

Dogen states: "Gaining enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon doesn't get wet; the water isn't broken...the whole moon and the whole sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass...enlightenment doesn't destroy the person, just as the moon doesn't break the water."

The more I am learning about Buddhist philosophy, the more I am beginning to believe that this all makes such complete sense to me. In some of my previous blogs, I have questioned the possibility of our ability to become truly enlightened. I have felt that our human bodies are meant to absorb the environment around us. And, that we shouldn't attempt to ignore our own inherent senses in order to reach a sense of peace. But, I really enjoyed this passage from Dogen. It seems to say that we can still be human and enjoy our surroundings with each of our senses, and reach a state of peacefulness at the same time. I love this idea of accepting what is in our present and being content with that.

When I reached the point in the passage where meditation is discussed I realized something interesting. Since the beginning of this class, and the first time meditation was discussed in our class, I have held skepticism about it. I was feeling like meditation was a great idea, but asked myself, "who could really actively practice this in modern society?". We are flooded with stimulation all day. Television, traffic, phone calls, radio...we are constantly being bombarded with activity around us. Then a light bulb turned on for me. I am completely capable of meditation, and I have proof to myself that I can meditate.

Seven years ago when I was in labor with my daughter, I decided I was going to give her a "natural birth". I refused all medication, and the entire time I was laboring with her, I was totally meditating. Not only have I done this before...but I was really good at it! I blocked out every thought in my mind for hours upon hours. I remember that I didn't even feel like I was within my own body. It was as if I completely detached myself from the physical pain. My thoughts were of nothing, and I didn't allow anything negative or positive to enter my consciousness. After my little one was born, my mom said how peaceful I appeared throughout the entire labor. She said it looked like I was just sleeping. I can't believe I never considered that experience as being meditation. I think now I am going to attempt to bring myself back there at times. What an incredible way to escape for awhile.

2 comments:

Jason File said...

Alicia,

Wow. Your example of meditation while giving birth is maybe one of the most awesome ways of talking about it that I have ever heard. It is utterly profound, and utterly beautiful.

As Dogen says, meditation is a formal, structured practice, with set times and methods. But the *experience* that formal meditation brings can be felt in other places (one of your classmates, Michelle Clement, blogged this week about a great meditation experience she had on her balcony). I think the formal, structured part is extremely important, but your story about meditation in birth was extremely beautiful.

Jason File said...

p.s., I'm definitely putting this one in my "Blog of Favorite Student Comments".