Friday, October 3, 2008

The Buddha

This was beautiful to read. In the past couple weeks, my life has taken a turn. At first I felt this change was negative. I have spent a great deal of time wishing things could be different, and more what I had imagined. Reading these selections from Buddha have given a sense of inner peace. It's funny how that works sometimes...just a short piece of reading has provided immense comfort for me now. For me, the most significant statement from this reading was, "all truths should be used to cross over; they should not be held on to once you have arrived." This made such clear sense to me, because it seems so very true. What I will take from reading this is this: Sometimes we are made aware of a truth that is painful to our soul. Instead of dwelling on the betrayal and heartache, we must use the truth to enable us to "cross over" onto the next portion of our lives, and leave the hurt behind. I have printed out the quote mentioned above, and put it on my refrigerator. I want to remember this always. It know it will help me a great deal in the future, and help me to be thankful that I am learning and growing every moment of this life.

2 comments:

Woody did a bad, bad thing said...

Wow. You and I are in the same place. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who, upon reading this selection, revisited his outlook on acceptance and joy! Although I didn't post it on my refrigerator, the Enlightened Mind has been open to the Buddha page on my desk all week.

Today I had the fortune to run across a passage from another text that really echoed what you wrote about. It dealt with the metaphor of pruning away the dead and dying plants in a garden and how that makes room for growth. Like us, we often have to prune away unwholesome things, and although painful to do so, always allows us more room to grow and prosper. In fact, the pain becomes a rallying point by which we can look back and see change with gratitude.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Woody

p.s. Your daughter is such a cutie! Truly her mother's daughter!

K said...

You're right! There is something so very true about that particular phrase. It is not something I ever really thought about before reading this, but, well, now that you mention it....

The way that I have always thought is that truth is a valubale thing that you must hang onto, because we live in a world of such untruthfulness. But really, there are many truths and the truth is really just a tool for bettering yourself and your mind. Once you have accomplished that, the truth serves no further purpose, really. It did what it needed to do for you, and that's when you have to let it go, and not use it as a crutch.

Thanks for the insight. That didn't really strike me as particularly significant until I read your analysis of it. Now I feel a little bit more enlightened for doing so. :D