Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tu-Shun

This was a tricky passage for me to fully grasp. I'll do my best to explain what I understood from the reading in hopes that I have not missed anything significant.

The passage seems to explain a detailed metaphor for the relationship of all human interaction. In the beginning of the passage it seemed as though the metaphor was explaining how our connections with each other are similar to a net-like organization of jewels. I thought the metaphor would be used to make a point that our own individual actions are reflected upon others in the same way a jewel would reflect light to surrounding jewels. But in reading further, it became clear that the metaphor was describing God's interactions with all of mankind, and how mankind (as the many jewels) are then reflecting God's message (one jewel) to others.

I agree that our actions in life both positive and negative, certainly are reflected unto others. Here are some examples I have noticed. If we choose to wear stress, anger and hardship on our bodies, usually others can sense it. And, the negativity is potentially spread around to those around us. If we are warm, nurturing and kind, I think that can change a "jewel" around us as well. I don't think that our actions need to be viewed as coming from God though.
Take God out of this metaphor and I would love it!

No comments: