This passage from John the Evangelist states:
" Love comes from God, and everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God".
In my opinion love is very important. Love is what makes most of us feel whole and fulfilled. Weather it's a deep love for someone, or something like a passion or hobby. But I personally have a difficult time believing that those who choose to follow in the beliefs (specifically Christianity)that this passage is referencing are truly filled with nondiscriminatory love. One thing that comes to mind in particular, is this question:
How can a religion such as Christianity, that has this underlying message of love decide not to love a person based purely on his or her sexual orientation, or personal choices that an individual is entitled to make for him/herself? That doesn't seem very loving to me.
Friday, October 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
And this is why I have a problem with organized religion. Once people get together to decide on what God is or isn't, problems ensue. Why? Because people are not capable of knowing God--only knowing the love that we are granted to ability to feel.
What a wonderful world it would be if, religious or not, all people subscribed to the words of Jesus when he said, "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who mistreat you..."
The possibilities are endless.
This is how I have begun to get over my frustration: I look for similarities in people, instead of noticing our differences. I find that the people with whom I have felt discomfort toward appear closer this way. So far, so good.
Thanks for the post!
AMEN.
Thank you. This has always been my biggest beef with christianity (and when you get right down to it, most organized religion). I grew up in a society that, for the most part, told me I was going to hell for not being Christian (among other things...), that told me my sister was going to hell for being a lesbian, and that my parents were going to hell for having pre-marital sex.
Wouldn't it be a perfect world if we could love indiscriminately the Woody mentioned? The biggest problem I have with christianity is that it pretends to be a religion of love and peace, and yet can't seem to function without the "us/them" mentality, which goes against its very principals. I know that there are plenty of "good" christians out there, but I think for the most part, it's a religion of hypocrites who cling onto the minor details and in doing so, completely miss the point...
Post a Comment