Friday, September 19, 2008

The Bible

I chose to read this passage in The Enlightened Mind for a very specific reason. I am highly uneducated when it comes to Bible specifics. I have somehow justified having opinions regarding certain portions of the Bible , but I suppose I should really educate myself deeper on the book so I have more knowledge to utilize in future religious discussions.
My belief of the Bible as a whole has been this; The Bible was just a book, filled with myths and stories meant to be taken as moral lessons. I have never thought The Bible was meant to be taken literally. My opinion is that the Bible is an accumulation of folk tales which have been passed down from generations in recent history. I have had an awareness of the Bible's underlying message on certain controversial topics, and I never wanted to read any part of that for fear it would anger me much too greatly. Something has changed within me though. Prior to enrolling in our World Religion class this semester, I had decided that I was ready to open myself up and truly learn. The first day of class I arrived with an open mind ready to soak up all the knowledge that would come my way. And, I have done just that. I read this passage from the Bible open-minded.
Jason has mentioned a couple times in class his opinion that when God created the world the message isn't that he created it in seven days, but, that "it was good". This passage from the Bible begins with a quote referencing that same idea. The book reads, "And God looked at everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good". I love the idea of shifting the focus from creationism versus evolution, to the good in which has been created.

No comments: