Where do I begin? Well let me start by saying I enjoyed this reading. It was very interesting to me and I found myself once again (along with my previous reading) in very deep thought. The overall sense of this passage is to encourage true and pure enlightenment.
This passage is written by an Indian Yogi and Philosopher, Shankara. The reading begins with a short sentence, "this universe is nothing but Brahman". Although I thought I had a sense of what the term "Brahman" meant, I wanted to go back to our textbook to clarify. Our text states, "In the Upanishads the word Brahman was expanded to mean a divine reality at the heart of things". Now I had a better idea and was able to continue my reading. Shankara asks many questions in this reading, and I thought for this blog entry I would state several of them and then share my opinion and response to some of those questions.
Shankara explains that we as human being should achieve a place in life where our spirit is basically separated from our physical environment. Shankara states, " when a great soul has found perfect tranquility by freezing his mind from distracting thoughts and completely realizing Brahman, then he no longer needs sacred places, moral disciplines, set hours, postures, directions, or objects...". I understand the power behind having the ability to do this. The idea of not having any worry, distraction, or contamination from the physical world would most likely be ideal for everyone. But I must say, I think it's highly unrealistic for most individuals. The fact is, that we are physical beings. We live in a physical world. The anatomy and physiology of our bodies allow us to experience the world through each of our senses. We have vision to view our surroundings, we have nerve endings so we can feel and touch, and we have auditory senses to hear activity in our environment. Most importantly we have cerebral function which allows us to analyze our surroundings, and have opinions that we share with others. In order for us as human beings to completely ignore many of these senses that we have evolved with, is I'm sure highly impossible for most. The idea of walking through a crowded city street, bustling with people and not watching them, or interacting with them is difficult to imagine.
Shankara suggests that we achieve "atman" or our deepest self and states, "this Atman shines with its own light...he who knows that Atman is free from every kind of bondage." These words are beautiful to read, and I believe in the peaceful message that Shankara is speaking about. In my opinion a balance between obtaining Atman and still truly experiencing our physical world would be ideal.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Unrealistic for most people is absolutely true. One might think our job here is to sit on a mountaintop for decades, separating ourselves from the world, seeking pure enlightenment, or freedom from all of those human traits you listed. Sounds pretty boring, no?
Dr. David R. Hawkins believes as I think you do, that most people just aren't born with the capacity to become enlightened. He clains that there are, at any given time on the planet, only about 19 people who reach this state of total freedom from ego identification. Whether he is correct or not, I do not know.
I have had a similar discussion with friends, asking the question, "If you could reach total spiritual harmony, would you make the journey?" I have heard both answers, yet for myself the answer is unfortunately, 'no'. I still like food, and laughing at jokes, romance, all of those wonderful sundry experiences brought about by simple human physical response and brain chemistry.
I wonder if the kind of enlightenment the masters speak of doesn't include all of those experiences anyway. If all things are truly God, and God is love (at least as i belive it is), then total enlightenment is the constant and never-ending expression of all joy imaginable.
It seems that maybe the work involved to ascend is too scary a proposition.
Thanks for such an inquisitive and insightful posting!
8-)
Woody
Post a Comment